Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rule of Eights

For some time now I've been aware of a certain pattern that has occurred in my life: the major spiritual phases can be broken down into periods of 8 years. I was baptized when I was 16 (so 2 eights), was an Episcopalian for 8 years, and then I was in the Western Rite for 8 years before moving to our current parish. Part of me wonders if there will be another change after another 8 years, but I also don't want to create a situation where it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because I'm aware of the pattern.

But the other night I was thinking about my childhood and I realized there is another 8 in the pattern... I have always described the sexual abuse as happening between the ages of roughly 2 to roughly 10. For some reason it didn't occur to me until this thought process that that is... eight years.

Wow.

Not to sound like I'm into numerology or anything, but this seems significant. I do believe God can work in patterns. I mean, of course He does - nature is full of patterns. I think it's okay to recognize this to some extent as evidence that He is working in our lives. So now I'm thinking maybe the pattern of eights has to do with healing. Maybe after 8 eights I will be all healed. Okay, maybe not. But still, the idea is a fun one to consider - as long as it doesn't become obsessive or defining.

Eight is a number often considered to have a meaning, especially in the context of the Bible or Church history/tradition. If 7 is the number of completion, 8 is sort of a ... new beginning (according to a quick Google search to confirm). Yeah, that makes sense. In Orthodoxy we name our children on the 8th day after they are born; we celebrate the Resurrection on the 8th day of the week; married couples wear their crowns for 8 days after their wedding.

So maybe there's something to this. Or maybe it's just an interesing coincidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home