Monday, July 10, 2006

Biopsy - well, it's over at least

We had a nice, if hectic weekend. My mom was kind enough to come up and take the kids for a few hours while we squeezed a movie and dinner around a professional society meeting and 2-year-old birthday party on Saturday. Had my car not lost it's front muffler on the way to my morning meeting, the schedule would've melded a little better. But she also did dishes and laundry and that made Sunday a LOT more relaxing for me (I actually got to take a nap!).

The new Pirates movie is pretty good, although I was disappointed in the ending. That's all I'll say for now. Other than that Johnny Depp still looks delicious in eye liner.

So today was the Deac's lung biopsy. Before he went in, the Interventional Radiologist (I had never heard of this medical specialty before - it sounds very cool!) told us there was a 20% chance the procedure could cause a pneumothorax (collapsed lung, basically - air gets into the chest cavity where it's not supposed to be and the lung can't inflate). They were going to use the CT machine to make sure they were at the level of the mass to take samples and give them immediately to the pathologist to make sure they were getting what looked like the right kind of tissue cells. Hopefully they managed to get something that will give us an idea of just what exactly we're dealing with here.

Anyway, the doc also said the procedure would take an hour. So, when they came out an hour and a HALF later, I was already beginning to suspect that something had gone wrong... you guessed it, he got a pneumothorax. So they put in a chest tube to let the air out and admitted him to the hospital for at least one, possibly two nights (it is a small one so it should resolve quickly).

Some friends of ours were wonderful enough to answer the call and pick our girls up from daycare for the evening. Apart from being a bit tired this evening, the girls seemed to not be as worried as I thought they might be. I must've done a good job of playing off my stress about it. The last thing I wanted was for them to recall that Grandad spent a night in the hospital before he died, and so far so good on that one. They went to sleep pretty quickly once we got home. Sleep sounds pretty good - maybe I'll go join them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home