Friday, September 30, 2005

Searching for Angela Shelton

I think a lot about "giving back" somehow to other people who are still in more pain than me due to their experiences of childhood sexual abuse. I haven't found anything that really resonates with me yet, but I do hope I'll have the opportunity at some point to help others through my journey.

Recently I came across an interesting website about a movie made by a woman named Angela Shelton (called "Searching for Angela Shelton") who has found her opportunity to help. She started out going across the country and looking up every other woman named Angela Shelton she could find. I'm kind of a sucker for documentaries like that - where you get to find out about the quiet desperation and amazing blessings in other people's lives. What she also found out along the way is that a majority of the Angela Sheltons were survivors of sexual abuse or rape. So this thing has become a movement of sorts to let survivors know they are not alone as well as make the general public aware of how prevalent this sort of thing is in our society.

The DVD is kind of expensive, but I want to see the movie. Maybe Blockbuster will get it in... or I'll manage to program TiVo correctly to catch it on Lifetime. Anyway, this was just intriguing to me and I thought I'd share it. It's an interesting idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home